Anxiety & Depression
a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
is a normal part of daily human existence. However, anxiety can be disrupting to your life and ability to function. If you think you suffer from anxiety and wish to break free from the chains of anxiety, help is here. Physical symptoms of: Muscle tension, Physical weakness, Poor memory, Sweaty hands, Fear or confusion, Inability to relax, Constant worry, Shortness of breath, Palpitations, Upset stomach, and Poor concentration are just a few examples of how anxiety can manifest itself. Anxiety is manageable with a variety of approaches and learned skills. Many people have experienced relief from their anxiety after counseling at KC Life Counseling. Learning skills of filtering, reframing, and mindfulness have proven invaluable to many clients suffering from mild to severe anxiety and OCD.
– feelings of severe despondency and dejection.
“self-doubt creeps in and that swiftly turns to depression”
Over 15 million people suffer from depression. Depression can affect any of us at anytime and some of us suffer and struggle with it everyday. Counseling can provide the jumpstart where you are currently to reduce the negative feelings, reframe negative self talk, and regain hope about your life.
MARRIAGE or RELATIONSHIP COUNSELING
Is your marriage in trouble? Are you failing to communicate? Need more intimacy? Marriage is difficult. Living with someone is difficult. The only way we have to connect to another human being is through the vehicle of communication. KC Life Counseling can provide new communication skills using Imago dialog skills and techniques from John Gottman, a pioneer researcher turned therapist. These two methods combine to provide a review of your communication style and methods to pinpoint the miscommunications triggering personal emotive reactions. The Imago dialog teaches couples how to listen and validate in a way to allow your mate to heal the wounds of their childhood that are often the cause of many disputes.
FAMILY & TEEN COUNSELING
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.
-George Bernard Shaw
Family dynamics and individual wounds can result in fighting, yelling, and hurting each other. The path to smoother relations is with healing those inner wounds, learning better communication skills, and restructuring interactions. Understanding and identifying where and how we fail to connect with our loved ones is the beginning. Emotional repair of past hurts, resolving conflicts, and true understanding can help your family their way back to functioning in healthy and productive ways.
Teens are a specialty at KC Life Counseling. Adolescence is a trying time. Stuck somewhere childhood and adulthood, they are often confused and angry. Teens desire more freedom than they are prepared to handle. Teens must be allowed to learn about the outcomes for their decisions and be a part of their own raising. Generational differences can block communication. Teaching both parents and teens about how to better understand and accept each other. We provide a safe, confidential place for teens to better understand this stage in their life, understand their parents better, and learnt to love themselves. Communication between teens and parents is a crucial component to a happy life for all. Teens struggle with things their parents never imagined would be a challenge. Allow KC Life Counseling to be an objective third party location where your family can heal and connect.
LIFE & CAREER COUNSELING
Life counseling is about exploring ones self for areas and opportunities of personal growth in the absence of a psychological malady. If you are a person looking for clearer understanding of who you are or pursuing self identity, if you wish to grow your emotional maturity index, if you want to better understand your past, if you wish to assess areas where you can generally improve self acceptance, understanding, and growth then life counseling is for you. You do not have to be suffering to be in counseling. Crisis counseling is about crisis management. Life counseling is about increasing your over all satisfaction with yourself as you pursue self actualization.
Career Counseling can be the thing you need to get out of a rut, increase your productivity at work, enable to better cope with coworkers, increase communication skills, better develop your career path, define the best fit for you and the field of work. Career counseling can also provide a place for you to talk about your hopes, thoughts, dreams, feelings, struggles, and concerns. If you need encouragement to pursue your dreams or cope with difficult people call KC Life Counseling fro career counseling. Career counseling is not about telling you what to do or what career you should meet the therapist.
Meet Laurie Ward, MA, LPC. Laurie specializes in helping individuals understand and strengthen their skills to cope and manage their symptoms of anxiety and depression. Laurie has treated adults, teens, couples, and children. Laurie acquired her Masters in Counseling from Webster University, graduating at the very top of her class. Her approach to therapy is client-centered with Cognitive-Behavior interventions, including Bowen family systems theory, all couched in psychodynamic talk therapy.
Laurie believes everyone has a chance for personal growth through therapy and can benefit from practicing Positive Psychology skills. Laurie believes in meeting people where they are in life without judgment or barriers. Whether your problems are critical and immediate, or chronic and evolving, Laurie is here to help you on the journey down life’s path. Give her a call for more information or an appointment. 816-695-4249.
- Do I need counseling? Counseling or therapy (used interchangeably) is not just for crisis. Our answer to that question is: “Everyone could benefit from therapy, at anytime”. If you find yourself feeling stressed and/or overwhelmed, unquestionably, please call for assistance. If you are feeling like a possible threat to yourself or someone else, please call 911 and ask for immediate help. Otherwise, counseling can help you in many areas of life. Counseling can help you identify and reach your goals, stabilize your crisis, or improve overall self-awareness.
- How do I choose a counselor or therapist? Therapy is about the unconditional relationship between counselor and client. If you are not comfortable, therapy may not work. The success of therapy is dependent on the quality of the client-therapist relationship. It is important you feel comfortable with your therapist. If you come to KC Life Counseling and are not comfortable after a few visists, please allow us to help you find another. We have many connections in the field. Call today and let’s get started finding out if you are a good fit for us.
- How much does it cost? Fees vary from counselor to counselor. The average rate in the KC market ranges from $60-150.00. This charges $80.00 private pay. It is our goal to make mental health care affordable and accessible to everyone. Please call for more specifics.
- Does my insurance cover this? Every policy is different and is impossible to determine on a general basis. This office does not directly bill insurance but provides an industry standard SuperBill/Receipt to clients to submit for out-of-network reimbursement. Please call your insurance provider and inquire about your benefits. We would be glad to help you if you need. Insurance requires a diagnosis and we take that responsibility very serious as this could follow you through out your life. Counseling can be affordable, give us a chance. We can adjust rates if the situation requires. Our mission is to make mental health care affordable and accessible to everyone. Please call us and let us share with you, our approach and experience at this office.
- How long does it take? Sessions last approximately 50-60 minutes. The initial assessment may be more. Meeting weekly may be necessary for a few months to develop that unconditional, empathetic regard of the therapeutic relationship between client and counselor. Sometimes clients continue in therapy for years. Other times it is a relatively short history. That decision is made between client and counselor on an individual basis based on measurable goals.
- Will anyone find out? While we wish there was not a stigma associated with therapy and actively work to extinguish the stigma, it does exist and we understand how important confidentiality is to counseling. Typically, what is said in therapy, stays in therapy. There are only a few exceptions to this principle including insurance, abuse allegations, and threats to others and self. These exceptions are exceptions are discussed in length during the first meeting and an ongoing basis, during sessions.
- What is Counseling? Counseling consists of meeting with an educated, trained, experienced counselor for an hour at a time at varying frequency to discuss you, your situation, your thoughts, feelings, history, and family. We will discuss and consider many perspectives in order to increase your self-awareness. Counseling is an opportunity to process our thoughts out loud increasing understanding. Individual counseling is a personal opportunity to receive support and experience growth during challenging times in life or during times of self pursuit. Individual counseling can help one deal with many personal topics in life such as anger, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, marriage and relationship challenges, parenting problems, school difficulties, career changes etc. Every couple experiences ups and downs in their levels of happiness, satisfaction, closeness and harmony in their marriage or with their partner, over time. This can vary from basic concerns of stagnation to more serious issues of infidelity and aggressive behavior. Marriage or couples counseling can help resolve conflicts and heal wounds. Overall, couples counseling can help couples increase their affective listening, communication skills, slow down their destructive behaviors, reestablish realistic expectations, and meet therapy goals. Family counseling is often sought due to a life change or stress negatively affecting one or all areas of family closeness, family structure (rules and roles) or communication style. This mode of counseling can take a variety of forms. Sometimes it is best to see an entire family together for several sessions. Sometimes it is best to see members individually to work on personal wounds. Common issues addressed in family counseling are concerns around parenting, sibling conflict, loss of family members, new members entering the family, substance issues, dealing with a major move or a general change affecting the family system.