Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need counseling?
- Counseling or therapy (used interchangeably) is not just for crisis. Our answer to that question is: “Everyone could benefit from therapy, at anytime”. If you find yourself feeling stressed and/or overwhelmed, unquestionably, please call for assistance. If you are feeling like a possible threat to yourself or someone else, please call 911 and ask for immediate help. Otherwise, counseling can help you in many areas of life. Counseling can help you identify and reach your goals, stabilize your crisis, or improve overall self-awareness.
How do I choose a counselor or therapist?
- Therapy is about the unconditional relationship between counselor and client. If you are not comfortable, therapy may not work. The success of therapy is dependent on the quality of the client-therapist relationship. It is important you feel comfortable with your therapist. If you come to KC Life Counseling and are not comfortable after a few visists, please allow us to help you find another. We have many connections in the field. Call today and let’s get started finding out if you are a good fit for us.
How much does it cost?
- Fees vary from counselor to counselor. The average rate in the KC market ranges from $60-150.00. This office charges $110.00/hr. It is our goal to make mental health care affordable and accessible to everyone. Please call for more specifics, or to discuss your individual financial needs.
Does my insurance cover this?
- I am glad you mentioned insurance. This is complex topic. If I bill your insurance and they are to pay, whether in network or out of network, they require a mental health diagnosis. Some insurance plans only allow one session to do that diagnosis. Some allow two sessions. In either case, hypothetically, we would go from total strangers to me diagnosing you with a mental health diagnosis in less about an hour or two. If I billed insurance; you would leave my office, I would diagnose you with a mental health condition or illness (that you meet the criteria), submit to your insurance electronically, (if you do not meet the criteria, they will not pay for your sessions), and now in this era of electronic files, that diagnosis will follow you for the rest of your life. A personal friend was turned down for an increase in life insurance because he had been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder-mild and placed on anti-depressants. My files, as a therapist, are heavily protected.Once those files leave my office, going to your insurance office, I no longer have control over them or the policies that monitor them or the staff that handle the files. I can no longer guarantee you confidentiality. This is true of whatever therapist you see.KC Life counseling is passionate about making mental health care affordable and accessible to everyone. Mental health needs are not limited to the most affluent. My clients are all self-pay. I do not directly bill insurance. I am not paneled with insurance. I can offer an out-of-network Superbill for out-of-network reimbursement. The above situation will still be the case. If you are not able to afford my rates, please contact me with all of your concerns so we can discuss what options are open to you.
How long does it take?
- Sessions last approximately 50-60 minutes. The initial assessment may be more. Meeting weekly may be necessary for a few months to develop that unconditional, empathetic regard of the therapeutic relationship between client and counselor. Sometimes clients continue in therapy for years. Other times it is a relatively short history. That decision is made between client and counselor on an individual basis based on measurable goals.
Will anyone find out?
- While we wish there was not a stigma associated with therapy and actively work to extinguish the stigma, it does exist and we understand how important confidentiality is to counseling. Typically, what is said in therapy, stays in therapy. There are only a few exceptions to this principle including insurance, abuse allegations, and threats to others and self. These exceptions are exceptions are discussed in length during the first meeting and an ongoing basis, during sessions.
What is Counseling?
- Counseling consists of meeting with an educated, trained, experienced counselor for an hour at a time at varying frequency to discuss you, your situation, your thoughts, feelings, history, and family. We will discuss and consider many perspectives in order to increase your self-awareness. Counseling is an opportunity to process our thoughts out loud increasing understanding. Individual counseling is a personal opportunity to receive support and experience growth during challenging times in life or during times of self pursuit. Individual counseling can help one deal with many personal topics in life such as anger, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, marriage and relationship challenges, parenting problems, school difficulties, career changes etc. Every couple experiences ups and downs in their levels of happiness, satisfaction, closeness and harmony in their marriage or with their partner, over time. This can vary from basic concerns of stagnation to more serious issues of infidelity and aggressive behavior. Marriage or couples counseling can help resolve conflicts and heal wounds. Overall, couples counseling can help couples increase their affective listening, communication skills, slow down their destructive behaviors, reestablish realistic expectations, and meet therapy goals. Family counseling is often sought due to a life change or stress negatively affecting one or all areas of family closeness, family structure (rules and roles) or communication style. This mode of counseling can take a variety of forms. Sometimes it is best to see an entire family together for several sessions. Sometimes it is best to see members individually to work on personal wounds. Common issues addressed in family counseling are concerns around parenting, sibling conflict, loss of family members, new members entering the family, substance issues, dealing with a major move or a general change affecting the family system.
Call today to get your career or life back on track.